Slow Cooker Chili Cheese Sloppy Joes are an easy and unique twist on traditional sloppy joes. This recipe is extra saucy, exploding with flavor, and packed with melty cheese. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or football Sunday!
Before I recipe tested this recipe, I couldn’t remember the last time I had a sloppy joe. It had been a long while. I had a craving for a good, messy sloppy joe, but I wanted to kick things up a notch. So, I introduce my Slow Cooker Chili Cheese Sloppy Joes. Think chili cheese dip meets sloppy joes. What’s not to love?
To make things even better, these sloppy joes are made in the slow cooker, making your life much easier, and are also perfect for game day or tailgating! Whip up a batch, invite all your friends over and watch the game.
I’m from Minnesota, so I’m of course a Vikings fan. John has season tickets, so you can find me at just about every game, especially if it’s against the Pack. Speak of, has anyone noticed how much they (excuse my lack of a better word) suck without Rodgers? They’re barely even a team. But the Vikes on the other hand, they’ve had 3 quarterbacks in the last year (technically, Bridgewater got injured in 2016 preseason), and they’re kicking butt!
P.S. Every time I hear Teddy Bridgewater’s name, I immediately start singing (in my head or out loud, depending on my audience), “Hey, Teddy. Hey, Teddy. Won’t you want to come to my birthday, hey?” Obadiah (aka Skolbadiah) is so cute! Watching these video’s immediately brings a smile to my face! I just love that Teddy actually surprised Obadiah for his birthday and that they made a video together! It just pulls at my heartstrings! If you’re lost, you HAVE to watch the videos; they are adorable! Click here to watch video one, video two and video three.
BTW, I have an idea! Invite your friends over, make some Slow Cooker Chili Cheese Sloppy Joes, turn on the game, and watch Obadiah’s videos during halftime while chowing down!
More delicious ground beef recipes:
- Beer Cheese Burgers on Pretzel Buns
- Five Pepper Beer Chili
- Kicked Up Tator Tot Hotdish
- French Onion Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
- Grandma’s Ground Beef, Zucchini and Sauerkraut Hotdish (a must try)
Chili Cheese Sloppy Joes
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 16 ounce can chili beans, drained (optional)
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce*
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 ½ tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Cook ground beef and onion in large skillet over medium-high heat until just cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Drain any liquid from meat.
- Add meat and all the remaining ingredients except cheddar cheese to slow cooker. Stir together. Cook on high for 1 hour or low for 2 hours.
- Stir in cheddar cheese. Cover and cook for 30 minutes on high or 1 hour on low.
- Serve warm with your favorite hamburger buns and toppings, such as sliced cheese, lettuce, tomato, jalapeno, and pickles.
- You can also very easily make these sloppy joes right on the stove! Cook the ground beef and onion as directed above, then add all remaining ingredients except for the cheese, to the pan. Stir to combine and let cook a couple minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Instead of using a bun, these sloppy joes are super delicious served over a baked potato!! I like to top my potato with butter and a sprinkle of salt, then the sloppy joe meat, and finally a dollop of sour cream!