Easy, hearty and crazy delicious venison beer chili is the perfect cozy dinner for a cold night! This recipe is made using ground venison and can be cooked on the stove or in the crockpot. Serve with your favorite chili toppings and Easy Buttery Beer Bread!
Easy Venison Chili Recipe.
This recipe may be easy, but it certainly isn't lacking flavor!! Just the right mix of spices, lots of ground venison and just enough beans - my perfect chili!
All you need is 15 minutes of hands-on cook time! Brown the meat and sauté onion and peppers, then add the remaining ingredients.
Let the chili simmer on the stove for 30-40 minutes, or cook low and slow in the crockpot - the choice is yours! So easy and so delicious!
- Olive oil.
- Bell pepper.
- Ground venison.
- Fresh garlic.
- Tomato paste.
- Light beer.
- Beef broth.
- Tomato sauce.
- Diced tomatoes.
- Crushed tomatoes.
- Chili beans.
- Kidney beans.
- Pinto beans.
- Chili seasoning (homemade blend in recipe card).
How to Make Venison Chili.
Making venison chili is incredibly easy, which is part of the reason why I love it! There's minimal prep and hands-on cook time needed, and a lot of the ingredients are from a can, keeping things nice and simple.
The key is to let the chili simmer for at least 30 minutes to allow the spices to mingle together, creating amazing flavor!
Here's how you do it!
- Cook the venison, onions and peppers. Heat a large skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook diced onion and bell pepper for a few minutes then add the ground venison. Cook until the venison is nicely browned and no longer pink.
- Mix in tomatoes and spices. Add the garlic and tomato paste - let cook for another minute. Then mix in lots of tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and all the chili seasoning!
- Add the Beans. Gently mix in the 3 cans of beans - I recommend chili beans, kidney beans and pinto beans.
- Simmer the chili. Simmer the chili for about 30-40 minutes on the stove, or let the chili cook in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- Serve! Serve with your favorite chili toppings, such as sour cream, green onion, and cheddar cheese!
P.S. Don't forget to make my Easy Buttery Beer Bread to serve with the Venison Beer Chili!
Crock Pot Venison Chili.
Venison chili is a great recipe to make in the crock pot!
Brown the venison, onion and bell pepper in a large skillet, as directed in the recipe, then transfer the meat and vegetables to the crock pot. Add the remaining ingredients, mix, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
Serve with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, shredded cheese, and green onion!
FAQ's & Substitutions.
What is the best way to cook ground venison?
Cook ground venison the same way you cook ground beef!
Start by heating a large skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground venison and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Break the venison up so that it's evenly spread throughout the skillet. Stirring often, cook the venison until it's nicely browned and no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes.
Is there a substitute for beer?
Yes! I recommend using chicken broth as a substitute for beer, or you can also use more beef broth.
Can I use different beans?
Yes! I feel as though 3 cans of beans is just the right amount, but feel free to use any combination!
Can I leave out the beans?
If you don't like beans, you can certainly omit them, but the chili won't be as hearty and filling. To make up for that, I recommend adding another pound of ground venison, ground beef or ground pork!
More Venison Recipes You'll Love!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and a comment below! I'd love to hear from you! If you’re on Instagram, share a picture of the food you created and tag me at Modern Farmhouse Eats! I enjoy seeing all the pictures! 😊
Venison Beer Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 pounds ground venison
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 12-ounce light beer
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 16-once can chili beans
- 1 16-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 16-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for a few minutes then add the ground venison. Cook until the venison is no longer pink and lightly browned.
- Mix in the garlic and tomato paste and cook one minute.
- Add in the beer, beef broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and chili seasoning; mix to combine.
- Mix in the beans and simmer uncovered for about 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and my easy buttery beer bread!
- Follow steps 1-2 then transfer the mixture to the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients as directed in the recipe above.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3.