Mexican Pork Carnitas Tacos with Spicy Pineapple Slaw combines all the best flavors. The slow-cooked carnitas are smoky, delicious, and perfectly crisp, and the spicy pineapple slaw adds the perfect amount of spice and sweetness to the tacos.
This week has been a busy one. I just returned back to the farm in Wisconsin after traveling to Ohio for several days. If you don’t know me personally or if you haven’t read my about me section, then you probably don’t know that I work as a Marketing Representative for a dairy company. This job allows me to work from home because all of my work is done on my computer, but it does require some travel. I enjoy that part though because I get to meet lots of new people and it gives me a break from working at home alone every day. If you work from home, you know how that feels.
The trip to Ohio was for an annual convention, which was held at the Great Wolf Lodge in Mason. It turned out to be a pretty good time. The last night of the convention, they brought in a comedian who is also a dairy farmer, and he was HILARIOUS. He calls himself, Tim the Dairy Farmer Comedian. After that, they had a DJ and a dance. We even got to pretend to be kids for a couple hours in the waterpark on Tuesday, and surprisingly, the slides were pretty fun. There are a number of Great Wolf Lodges located around the United States, and would be a fun to visit for a little family vacation if you have younger kids.
We drove down to Ohio on Monday and returned on Thursday. From the farm, the drive was 9 hours one way. It was definitely long, but not terrible. Plus, we were able to bring back a few cases of Yuengling Lager, which is a must if you’re in that area. Yuengling brewery in Pennsylvania is actually the oldest in the United States!
So, guess what I’ll be drinking on Super Bowl Sunday! Yep, Yuengling. And guess what I’ll be eating. You guessed it again… Pork Carnitas with Spicy Pineapple Slaw! I love how easy, yet delicious, they are! You can put the pork in the crockpot, and walk away for 8 hours. You can even make it a day or two ahead of time. I’ve already created the tastiest Mexican Slow Cooker Smoky Pork Carnitas recipe for you, so you’ll be all set! Come game day, all you have to do is make the spicy pineapple slaw. It’s simple to make and packs a lot of flavor. I love servings these tacos with fresh sliced avocado, pico de gallo and crumbled Queso Fresco cheese. So good.
This weekend, you can find us wondering around Nicollet Mall soaking up all of the craziness of the Super Bowl.
What are your plans for the Super Bowl? Who are you cheering for? Being that the Vikings didn’t make it, I don’t care too much who wins. But, part of me wants the Eagles to lose. Even though we’ve all had enough of the Patriots winning the Super Bowl. I just care more about the food and drinks. Oh and the commercials. Who’s with me?
Hope you all have a great weekend filled with delicious food, drinks, and good friends!
If you’re feeling festive, I highly recommend serving your tacos with one (or both) of my favorite margaritas:
Pork Carnitas Tacos with Spicy Pineapple Slaw
- Pork carnitas my favorite recipe
- Small corn or flour tortillas
Spicy Pineapple Slaw
- ½ small head green cabbage shredded or thinly sliced
- ½ small head red cabbage shredded or thinly sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ fresh pineapple diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pico de gallo or salsa
- Sriracha mayo see notes
- Avocado or guacamole
- Mexican cheese I like Queso Fresco
- Fresno chile pepper or red jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
Spicy Pineapple Slaw:
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, onion, cilantro, pineapple, and jalapeno.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper. Add vinaigrette to cabbage mixture and toss to combine. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Before serving, toss again.
- Warm tortillas quickly in a dry skillet or over an open flame on a gas stove (keep a close eye on them).
- Fill tortillas with pork carnitas and top with spicy pineapple slaw (I like to double stack my tortilla shells in case one breaks).
- Top with your favorite toppings!
- For the pork carnitas, I love making my Mexican Slow Cooker Smoky Pork Carnitas.
- To make sriracha mayo, whisk together 2 parts mayo with 1 part sriracha. If desired, you can thin it out with a little lime juice or water.