Not too sweet, not too spicy. This Jalapeño Grapefruit Margarita is made just right with only 5 ingredients and lots of tequila. Perfect for summer days!
Does anybody else love margaritas, but hate how sweet they usually are? Yep, me too. Homemade margaritas are so much better than margaritas made with store-bought mix. These Sparkling Jalapeño Grapefruit Margaritas are super easy to make, not overly sweet and are made with lots of tequila. And to make things even better, they pack a little punch from the jalapeño. Perfect.
Before you dive into the recipe, I have to share a story with you. About two years ago, when I had just starting dating my now fiancé, and before I started making homemade margaritas, I had bought margarita mix and a bottle of tequila to go with it. We went back to his place with some friends, and after only two margaritas, I was somehow way more intoxicated than I meant to be. Whoops, thanks for sticking it out, John. It wasn’t until a few days later that I finally received how only two drinks did me in. I had bought pre-mixed margarita mix without knowing it! So, I was adding about a shot or two to each drink and topping it off with margarita mix that already had tequila in it! All that sugary sweetness of store-bought margarita mix hid that extra tequila.
After that mishap, I decided that I was going to start making homemade margaritas with simple ingredients. I love spicy, so creating a jalapeño margarita was a no-brainer. And you know what goes really well with margaritas on summer days? Grilling! Try my recipe for Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Salsa to make it a party.. in your mouth 😉
P.S. I really love the cute, colorful tequila bottle that my fiancé brought back from Mexico for me (don't worry, it was a work trip, he didn't leave behind for a vacation)! I think I'll keep it and refill it 🙂
Sparkling Jalapeño Grapefruit Margarita with Chili Lime Salt
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2-3 jalapeno slices with seeds
- Chili powder
- Lime sliced into wedges
- 1 ounce triple sec orange liqueur
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice*
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces sparkling water unflavored, lime or grapefruit
- Fill a cup or jar with tequila and add in 2-3 jalapenos slices with seeds. Let sit for about 15-30 minutes so the tequila becomes infused. More time means a spicer drink.
- Fill a shallow bowl with salt and sprinkle with chili powder to taste; stir to combine. Rub a lime wedge around the top rim of a glass; dip rim of glass in salt and chili mixture.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice and add infused tequila, triple sec, grapefruit juice and lime juice; shake vigorously. Alternatively, use a large jar or stir together in a large glass. Pour over fresh ice in rimmed glass (while straining out the ice that was used in shaker) and add 2 ounces of sparkling water. Serve garnished with grapefruit and jalapeno slices.
Leave a Reply