Incredibly tender Mexican slow cooker smoky pork carnitas are super easy to make and full of flavor. The meat is so juicy on the inside and perfectly crisp on the outside with two ways to achieve the perfect golden finish.
Who watches “This is Us”?? Talk about heartbreaking. If you are not caught up, you should probably hop down to the recipe at this point. Sorry.
So, can we all agree that Jack goes back inside the burning house to save Kate’s dog? I mean, I LOVE dogs, but damn. Next weeks episodes are going to be the saddest.
Can we talk for a moment about Crock-Pot, though? If you haven’t noticed, a lot of “This is Us” fans took to Twitter to say that they don’t trust their Crock-Pot anymore or that they are throwing their Crock-Pot in the trash. Crock-Pot even created a twitter account just to address the issue! They put out a lengthy tweet (thank god Twitter upped the character limit lol) about how Crock-Pot is committed to safety and that their slow cookers are rigorously tested before they are sold. I believe you Crock-Pot. I believe you.
But, you guys, this tweet. Could it be any more accurate???
As mad as I am that our beloved Jack dies from a damn Crock-Pot fire, I’m going to keep using mine to cook these bomb ass Mexican Slow Cooker Smoky Pork Carnitas, and you better join me!
The flavor is incredible and the pork is so perfectly tender. Not to mention the options! So many options. I mean, hello pork carnitas tacos for Super Bowl Sunday! Who doesn’t love a slow cooker full of smoky, tender meat? And, lets talk about how easy the pork is to make. Mix together some rub ingredients and juice some limes and oranges. Then get that lovely hunk of meat cooking, and continue on with your day. It’s a win-win for everyone.
Don’t you all just love any kind of shredded pork and beef?? It’s always so tender and full of flavor. So, next up on my list of slow cooker meat recipes is going to have to be shredded beef. I’m thinking barbacoa. Sound good to you?? Okay, sweet 🙂
Now go add Mexican Slow Cooker Smoky Pork Carnitas to your list of food for Super Bowl Sunday!
Mexican Slow Cooker Smoky Pork Carnitas
- 4-5 lb pork shoulder/butt
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 oranges juiced (about ¾ cup)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke optional, but recommended
- 1 small white onion
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together all rub ingredients.
- Pat pork dry and rub all over with rub mixture.
- Place pork in slow cooker, and top with reaming ingredients: lime juice, orange juice, liquid smoke, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- When the pork is fall off the bone tender, remove from slow cooker (do NOT discard juices in slow cooker) and let cool enough to handle. Discard fat and shred the meat using two forks.
- To crisp the meat, heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Place a thick layer of pork in the pan and drizzle with some of the juices from the slow cooker. Cook until slightly crispy then remove from the pan. You don’t really need to crisp both sides otherwise the pork will become dry. Repeat with the rest of the pork. Alternatively, you can spread pork out on a large non-stick (or foil-lined) sheet pan, drizzle with juices, and broil on low (middle rack) for 5-10 minutes until slightly crispy on top.
- Before serving, drizzle with a little more juice.
- Serve warm in tortillas, with rice, on salad, etc. The options are endless!