Most delicious parmesan cream sauce mixed with basil pesto and served with cheese tortellini and perfectly seared chicken. Easy and insanely flavorful dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes!
Other than boiling the tortellini, this dinner only requires on skillet to cook both the chicken and make the sauce! Start by searing the chicken until its golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Set the chicken aside and make your sauce. Start by making a roux with butter and flour, then add in milk, cream cheese, heavy cream and parmesan to make the best cream sauce! Last, but not least, add in basil pesto to up the flavor! And to keep things simple, I just use store-bought pesto. Add your cooked tortellini and chicken to the pesto cream sauce and let simmer for 5 minutes to warm up the chicken and let the sauce cook into the pasta, and you’re all set! The most flavorful and easy dinner!
Olive oil. About one tablespoon to sear the chicken.
Chicken. I like to use chicken breast tenderloins because they’re small, thin pieces of chicken and they cook up fast. You can use chicken breasts, but I suggest cutting each chicken breast horizontally into two thin breasts.
Butter. Salted or unsalted to make a roux.
Flour. All-purpose flour to make the roux.
Garlic. I like to use fresh garlic. If you use garlic powder, add it in when you add the pesto.
Milk. I recommend whole or 2%.
Cream cheese. Adds extra creaminess to the sauce.
Heavy cream. Still with the extra creaminess. You can swap half and half or milk if you’re in a pinch, but the sauce won’t be as thick and creamy.
Pesto. I just use store-bought pesto to keep things quick and easy.
Parmesan cheese. 1/2 cup goes a long way. It makes the sauce very cheesy.
Cheese tortellini. Any any flavor your heart desires!
More of my favorite easy and delicious dinners!
Cheese Tortellini with Chicken and Pesto Cream Sauce
- olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast tenderloins (or chicken breasts cut horizontally into thin breasts)
- salt and pepper to season the chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound cheese tortellini
- Fresh basil for garnishing (optional)
- In a skillet with tall sides, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a bowl, then boil the tortellini according to package directions.
- In the same skillet that you cooked the chicken, add the butter and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the butter is melted, then whisk in the flour and cook for one minute. Pour in the milk and whisk until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the cream cheese until smooth. Add the heavy cream, pesto and parmesan. Simmer until thickened, about another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked tortellini and chicken to the pesto cream sauce. Simmer until the chicken is warm, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with fresh basil and more pesto, if desired!