Creamy cheddar cheese soup loaded with smoked sausage and tender potatoes! So flavorful and all made in one pot, making it perfect for an easy weeknight dinner that everyone will love.
Smoked Sausage and Potato Cheese Soup Ingredients.
Sausage. You can use any kind of smoked sausage you would like. I've used both smoked chorizo and smoked andouille. Chorizo is a little spicy, so if you're looking for a little kick of heat, it's a great choice. Otherwise, I recommend smoked andouille or kielbasa.
Onion. All great soup starts with onion. I like to use a yellow onion because of the sweet flavor, but you could also use a white onion.
Carrots & celery. I like to finely dice the carrots and celery, so you don't get big chunks in the soup. They add extra flavor and a pop of color.
Garlic. Another soup staple. If you're in a pinch, you can swap fresh garlic for 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
Flour. The recipe calls for ½ cup all-purpose flour. Not to thin, not too thick. If you like a really thick soup, you could increase the flour to ¾ cup.
Chicken broth. You can use chicken broth or stock. Another option is vegetable broth. However, I don't recommend using beef broth. It's a little too rich.
Milk. I recommend 2% or whole milk. Anything lighter and the soup won't be as creamy.
Potatoes. I like to use Yukon gold potatoes because of their soft, creamy texture, plus they have a tender skin so no need to peel them! Russet potatoes will also work, but I recommend peeling them first.
Cheddar cheese. For me, the sharper the cheese the better. I used white cheddar but yellow cheddar works just as great.
Tips & Tricks.
Can you make this soup in a slow cooker? I personally haven't tried it, but I imagine it would work great. You will still have to start the recipe on the stove through step four. Then transfer the contents of the pot and the remaining ingredients, except the cheese, into the slow cooker. Cook on low for about 4-6 hour or high for about 2-4 hours, or until potatoes are tender. Then mix in the cheese and serve!
What kind of sausage should I use? If you like a little spice, I recommend smoked chorizo. Otherwise, smoked andouille or kielbasa are great options, as well! Really any type of sausage works. You could even use ground sausage - just make sure you fully cook it during step one.
More cozy soup recipes!
One Pot Smoked Sausage and Potato Cheese Soup
- 1 ring smoked andouille, chorizo, or kielbasa sausage, thinly sliced (about ¾ - 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk (2% or whole)
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cubed (or russet potatoes*)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (8 ounce block)
- parmesan cheese & fresh thyme for garnishing (optional)
- In a large pot, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To the same pot, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the butter and mix until melted with the vegetables. Sprinkle the flour over the butter and vegetable mixture and mix to combine. Let cook for one minute.
- Gradually pour in the chicken stock while mixing, allowing the sauce to thicken.
- Add the milk, potatoes, browned sausage, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently so the soup doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Mix in the cheese until melted.
- Serve warm with crusty bread, parmesan and fresh thyme, if desired.