Broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots all cooked to perfection and smothered in a cheesy, creamy sauce. The perfect comfort food side dish.
Like a good amount of my recipes, this Cheesy Vegetable Bake has always been one of my moms go to sides for two reasons. First, its super easy to throw together, and then it bakes in the oven while you prepare the rest of the meal, clean up, chase kids, rest, etc. Second, it’s soooo DELICIOUS. Vegetables smothered in a creamy, cheesy sauce…is there a better way to eat vegetables?
Growing up, my mom always made this dish using the bag of mixed vegetables from Schwan’s. We ordered so much food from the Schwan’s man growing up that when I close my eyes, I can still picture John's (that's his name) face. But not in a creepy way, okay? And since my parents moved to Wisconsin about 6 years ago, it’s been awhile since we’ve seen that guy. But, good guy, good guy.
So basically the perfect blend of veggies chosen for this recipe is all thanks to Schwan’s. That is because the bag of veggies my mom always bought from them was carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. Also, if you were wondering if you can substitute frozen veggies for the fresh ones, the answer is yes.
About a week ago, I came back to the twin cities from the farm in Wisconsin. I was there for a whole three weeks, and it so refreshing. I’m lucky to have a job where I get to work from home, so I all I have to do is pack up my computer. While I was out there, I made my mom help me make the dish, and I wrote down every ingredient and step. She typically never writes a recipe down, she’s just a natural.
If you’re wondering what I did while I was out at the farm for three weeks (because I know you are), I did a lot. Worked of course, but in my spare time, I bottle fed the calves morning and night, played with my goats, watched the birth of baby pigs, milked cows, stacked 130 square bales, celebrated my nephews first birthday, went for runs with my niece (Khloe – Derek’s dog), went boating twice, laughed a lot with my brother (Derek) at my mom’s expense and just spent lots of quality time with my family. Can it get any better?
Now, go spend some quality time with your family while enjoying some Cheesy Vegetable Bake! And if you're looking for other tasty side dishes, I highly recommend my Tomato Garlic Stuffed Peppers. They aren't your ordinary stuffed peppers!
Cheesy Vegetable Bake
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 4 ½ tablespoons butter
- 4 ½ tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower into large bite-sized pieces. Grease a 3-quart baking dish (9x13 inch) and add broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk until combined. Let cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and whisk until thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat down to medium-low, and add the heavy whipping cream. Whisk to combine and let simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the vegetables in the baking dish and mix to combine. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 45 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add cheddar cheese over the top and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
Leave a Reply