Perfect recipe to satisfy your ramen craving! Ready in less than 30 minutes and made with delicious chili seasoned broth and lime shrimp. Both tastier and healthier than the store-bought version!
Back in my college days, if I had to pick my 3 favorite late night foods, it would be ramen, pizza and mac n’ cheese. Yup. I feel pretty confident that I’m not the only one with these 3 rounding out their list because hello cheap, easy and delicious. And guess what, I still need these foods in my life from time to time.
But, this chili lime shrimp ramen recipe is for the grown-ups out there (even those pretending to be – heyy) that are in need of a ramen fix but want something that is considered acceptable for dinner, and actually eaten at dinner time, not at 2 a.m.
Without further ado, Chili Lime Shrimp Ramen to the rescue.
I’ve come across quite a few homemade ramen soup recipes, but never one that quite met my fancy. I love shrimp, and I love a little heat, so why not make the best of both worlds? Am I right?! My college self would be proud. And actually, my college self liked to cook. But, on a college budget, I kept things pretty simple. Now, my obsession with food has led me to experiment in ways I never dreamed of.
In college, I did a lot of cooking with my gal pal and roommate, Rachel (we called ourselves R^2 – yes, we’re super cool). We were kind of the like the “chefs” of our 5 girl college home. Whenever we had people over for the weekend, the two of us would usually be in the kitchen whipping up dinner to fill our bellies for what was to come that night or whipping up a feast of a brunch to recoup from last nights activities. And of course, we always had the staple 3 late-night foods stocked. But, how awesome would it have been to mow down on this Chili Lime Shrimp Ramen than the ramen from the bag with a few dehydrated teeny tiny shrimp?
I hope you all enjoy this adult version of ramen and take a trip down memory lane while slurping up this delicious soup. Or eating. I hate the sound of slurping. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Other than things I don’t like, if you want to learn a little bit more about me, like things I do like, get the scoop here.
More warm and tasty soup recipes:
Chili Lime Shrimp Ramen Soup
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- salt, to taste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 roma tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 12 ounces ramen noodles (discard any seasoning packet)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Lime wedges
- Matchstick carrots
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- Hoisin sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in large pot over medium heat. Add shrimp and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon lime juice and salt. Cook until firm and pink, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside. Add 2 tablespoons sesame oil, onion and tomato and cook on medium for about 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the water, broth, ½ tablespoon chili powder, cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon lime juice and soy sauce. Bring to a light boil then simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add the noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes until noodles are soft.
- Just before serving, mix in the fresh spinach.
- Serve with lime wedges, matchstick carrots, green onions, and drizzle with hoisin sauce.