The most delicious and fluffy pumpkin pancakes topped with the most dreamy cinnamon honey butter that takes just a minute to whip up. All the best fall flavors wrapped up in an amazing breakfast!
It’s fall, ya’ll! So in typical Rachel fashion, I drug my mom with me all around the farm and down some country roads to find all the best places to take pictures of the changing leaves. But, would you expect anything different? I’m obsessed with taking farm pictures, especially when they include cows.
So, naturally, our first stop was the pasture. The trees weren’t as colorful as I’d hoped, but it was still beautiful. Plus, cows are such curious animals, making it pretty easy to get some good pictures. Before you know it, they're up nice and close sniffing you and rubbing their head against the 4-wheeler for a good scratch. What I really enjoy about dairy cows is that they're so big, yet so gentle.
We also visited the goats. They mostly just whine and chase you around. They aren’t the most photogenic. Then we went down the road to the local falls, and lastly to take some pictures of the neighbor’s field that I’m always gawking at.
There’s exactly one tree standing alone in a field with alternating sections of forage (grass) and soybeans. And at this time of the year, the beans are brown and the grass is green, creating this amazing contrast of colors. To make things even better, there’s a beautiful tree line in the back that’s popping with colors. It’s quite the sight.
Let's move on to talking about pancakes!
Since it’s fall, it’s only fitting that I share my fluffy pumpkin pancakes recipes with all of you! But, first a little history.
We first discovered pumpkin pancakes when I was just a kid, back before pumpkin spice everything was insanely popular. My mom would actually order boxes and boxes of our favorite pumpkin pancake mix online. Then to make them, all we had to do was add a couple of wet ingredients like eggs and liquid because the pumpkin flavoring was already in the dry mix.
To say the least, my family thought these from a box pumpkin pancakes were the best thing ever. Well, we were wrong because these from scratch pumpkin pancakes are actually the best thing ever. Okay, well maybe not ever, but they’re up with the best of the best pancakes.
When it comes to pancakes, I’m a pretty firm believer that they should be made from scratch. Unless you’re feeding a crowd because in that case, box mix is your friend. But, if you’re making them from scratch, pancakes are just a simple mix of dry and wet ingredients, and these pumpkin pancakes are no different.
Pumpkin puree gets mixed with your standard wet ingredients of buttermilk, butter, eggs, and vanilla. While your dry flour mixture gets a flavor boost from some cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves; all the best fall flavors!
BTW...The trick here to light and fluffy pancakes happens during the mixing of the wet and dry ingredients. You have to be careful NOT to overmix the batter because that's how you end up with chewy pancakes. So when mixing, keep in mind that it's OK to have some lumps in the batter. Another important step is to let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes before cooking the pancakes so that the gluten has a chance to rest, again, so you're pancakes aren't tough and chewy.
But, what's equally important as ensuring your pancakes are nice and fluffy is the cinnamon honey butter, obviously. It’s heavenly and tastes just like the butter from Texas Roadhouse. You know, the one you can never stop lathering all over those soft and fluffy rolls. So addicting, and it’s also amazing on pumpkin pancakes. Makes sense, right?
You’re going to absolutely love these pancakes! ... don't forget the real maple syrup 🙂
More Fall Recipes You Will Love!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and a comment below! I'd love to hear from you! If you’re on Instagram, share a picture of the food you created and tag me at Modern Farmhouse Eats! I enjoy seeing all the pictures! 😊
Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ¾ cup buttermilk room temperature (see note 1)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Cinnamon honey butter:
- ½ cup butter 8 tablespoons, at room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a small bowl, whisk together pumpkin, buttermilk, butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Some lumps are OK; do NOT overmix, that'll result in chewy pancakes. Let batter sit 5-10 minutes while you prepare the cinnamon honey butter!
- Add all cinnamon honey butter ingredients to a small bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until smooth and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and grease with butter or oil. Pour about ⅓ cup of pancake batter into the skillet and gently spread the batter to form a circle. Cook 2-3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve warm with cinnamon honey butter and maple syrup!
- If you don't have buttermilk, you can make your own by mixing together 1 ¾ cup of milk with 2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes before using.