The perfect way to devour leftover chili! Crispy, cheesy and spicy Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Waffles smothered in chili and drizzled with maple syrup.
PUHH-lease get on board with the maple syrup drizzle! It’s a game changer, and these chili waffles are just not the same without it!
When it comes to chili, you must always make a big pot of it. There just is no other option. Chili is something that is always made in bulk, which means leftover central! And once you get sick of eating straight chili for multiple days, which who I am kidding? I don’t get sick of chili. I love chili. But, yeah know, sometimes it’s fun to mix it up. And that is where Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Waffles come into play! They rescue you from ordinary leftovers, and it's like you're earing a WHOLE NEW MEAL.
To be honest with you, drizzling maple syrup on the waffles was more of an idea I had to make the pictures look cooler. I know. The things food bloggers do. But, the truth is that once I did it and tried it, I was like, “OMG this is soo good.” The combination of sweet, savory and spicy is the best thing. And that is why I beg you to give it a try. It will surprise you. So, promise me that you will not eat these chili waffles without trying them with maple syrup!!
In other news, I’m heading back out to the farm today (big surprise there), and this time, John is coming with. It’s Derek’s 30th birthday on November 2nd, and I have a little something special planned for him this weekend! But, I can’t really get into the details right now just in case he reads this. Which brings up a good point… does my family read my blog posts? Does anyone? Who’s reading these posts? Whoever you are, you should say hi in the comments to let me know that someone is there is listening!
Next week, I’ll be sure to share what Derek’s birthday surprise was. But, if you can’t wait till then (which obvi you can't), follow me on Instagram because I will for sure be sharing it all on my Instagram story!
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Waffles with Chili
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter slightly cooled
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 jalapeno diced (including seeds and membranes)
- Your favorite chili here is mine – Five Pepper Beer Chili!
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, honey and melted butter.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir until just combined. Once mixed together, stir in shredded cheddar cheese and diced jalapenos.
- Heat and grease your waffle iron, and cook the waffles according to your waffle iron’s directions.
- Serve warm covered with your favorite chili and maple syrup!