Chili Cheese Sloppy Joes
Slow Cooker Chili Cheese Sloppy Joes are an easy and unique twist on traditional sloppy joes. This recipe is extra saucy, exploding with flavor, and packed with melty cheese. Serve with crispy fries and you have the perfect weeknight meal or gameday feast.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 16 ounce can chili beans, drained (optional)
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce*
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 ½ tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
Cook ground beef and onion in large skillet over medium-high heat until just cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Drain any liquid from meat.
Add meat and all the remaining ingredients except cheddar cheese to slow cooker. Stir together. Cook on high for 1 hour or low for 2 hours.
Stir in cheddar cheese. Cover and cook for 30 minutes on high or 1 hour on low.
Serve warm with your favorite hamburger buns and toppings, such as sliced cheese, lettuce, tomato, jalapeno, and pickles.
*When I'm out of tomato sauce, I'll substitute Campbell's tomato soup. Work's great.
Alternative serving option:
- You can also very easily make these sloppy joes right on the stove! Cook the ground beef and onion as directed above, then add all remaining ingredients except for the cheese, to the pan. Stir to combine and let cook a couple minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Instead of using a bun, these sloppy joes are super delicious served over a baked potato!! I like to top my potato with butter and a sprinkle of salt, then the sloppy joe meat, and finally a dollop of sour cream!