If a quesadilla, omelette, and breakfast taco had a baby, it would be a Quesadilla Breakfast Taco! Melty cheese is sandwiched between an omelette style egg and tortilla then filled with taco seasoned sausage, bell peppers and the most amazing Spicy Ranchero Sauce! Serve with fresh avocado, tomato and lettuce. You're going to love this insanely delicious and fun breakfast!
I have to tell you where my idea for a Quesadilla Breakfast Taco came from. Are you familiar with the viral tortilla wrap on TikTok? It's where you make a cut from the center of a tortilla down to the edge. You then place a different ingredient in each quadrant/quarter and fold the tortilla starting with the bottom left quadrant, working your way to the top left then the top right and finish with the bottom right. From there, you fry the tortilla wrap in a pan until golden brown.
P.S. describing how to make a tortilla wrap is difficult, so go here for a visual reference.
Anyways, a few months ago I had a great idea that I would make a tortilla wrap/omelette combination, and guess what, it went viral on TikTok and Pinterest! Go here to watch the video on TikTok and go here to watch it on Pinterest! It currently has 127,000 pins on Pinterest!
I start by pouring whisked eggs into a fry pan as if you're making an omelette, and once the egg is cooked through, I sprinkle it with lots of cheese and place a tortilla over the top. Once the cheese is melted I flip the tortilla/egg so the tortilla is on the bottom and the egg is on top with melted cheese in the middle. I then follow the same tortilla wrap hack by making a cut from the middle to the edge and place a different ingredient in each quadrant. I fold it up and fry until golden brown. Super fun and super delicious.
Based off of my viral breakfast tortilla wrap, I had another great idea to make a similar version of it known as a Quesadilla Breakfast Taco! Instead of cutting and folding the tortilla/omelette, you simply add your ingredients to one side and fold it in half like you would a taco or quesadilla, then fry till it's golden brown.
SO SO GOOD.
What is a Quesadilla Breakfast Taco?
If a quesadilla, omelette, and taco had a baby, it would be a Quesadilla Breakfast Taco. Basically lots of cheese is melted between a tortilla and an omelette then stuffed with more cheese, taco seasoned sausage, bell peppers and homemade spicy ranchero sauce. It's then folded in half and fried until the tortilla is golden brown.
It is absolutely AMAZING.
It's such a fun twist on the regular breakfast taco or breakfast quesadilla and is filled with so much melted cheese, it's unreal. I mean, who doesn't love melty cheese?
The spicy ranchero sauce is super easy to make and takes this quesadilla breakfast taco is another level.
Also, do you remember the Taco Bell Quesalupa? Because this Quesadilla Breakfast Taco also reminds me of that, except breakfast style!
How to Make a Quesadilla Breakfast Taco.
Taco seasoning. I like to mix up my own (recipe in the recipe card) or you can use store-bought.
Cheese. I like to use Colby jack - I think it melts really nicely, but feel free to use your favorite kind.
Tortillas. I use 6 inch taco tortillas and an 8 inch fry pan.
Homemade Spicy Ranchero Sauce.
What is Spicy Ranchero Sauce?
Spicy ranchero sauce tastes like a spicy, smokey, Mexican-style ranch, and it's insanely delicious. Not only do I love to use it in my Quesadilla Breakfast Tacos, but it's amazing on a lot of things... all tacos and quesadillas, potatoes, breakfast scrambles, and that's all I can think of right now 😂
- Sour cream or greek yogurt
- Milk or buttermilk
- Lemon juice
- Dried dill
- Dried parsley
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
Tips & Substitutions.
Make sure that your tortilla fills the bottom of the pan. I use 6-inch tortillas and an 8 inch non-stick skillet/fry pan, which is actually only 6 inches on the bottom because the sides gradually curve up to be 8 inches wide at the top. Most skillets are this way. You can also use burrito size tortillas (about 8-9 inches) and a 12 inch skillet, which is about 9 inches on the bottom.
How many egg should I use for one taco? When using a 6 inch tortilla (8 inch skillet), only use one egg; two eggs will make the taco too fill and it will be hard to fold in half. When using a burrito tortilla (12 inch skillet), you will need two eggs, as one egg won't be enough to fill the bottom of the pan.
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Please rate the recipe below using the stars or leave a comment. If you’re on Instagram, share a picture of the food you created and tag me at Modern Farmhouse Eats! I love seeing all the pictures! 😊
Quesadilla Breakfast Taco with Spicy Ranchero Sauce
- 8-inch non-stick skillet
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon each cumin and paprika
- ½ teaspoon each garlic powder, dried oregano and salt
- ½ cup water
- 5 eggs
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 8-10 ounces colby jack cheese, shredded (aobut 2 - 2 ½ cups)
- 5 6-inch tortilla shells
- 1 bell pepper, diced
Spicy Ranchero Sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons milk or buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried dill, dried parsley, garlic powder and chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper and salt
- Heat the olive oil and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the ground pork and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Seaosn with chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt. Add the water and simmer until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Grease an 8-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together one egg and one tablespoon of milk. Pour into the skillet, cover with a lid and heat just until cooked through, about one minute. Sprinkle with a handful of cheese and cover with a tortilla. Cook another minute until the cheese is melted, then use a spatula to flip the egg and tortilla so the tortilla is on the bottom and the egg is on the top.
- Sprinkle the egg with a little more cheese then add some taco seasoned sausage and diced bell pepper over half of the egg and drizzle with spicy ranchero sauce, being careful not to fill it too full. Fold the egg/tortilla in half over the filling. Fry on each side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve with more spicy ranchero sauce and fresh tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, and pickled red onion, if desired!
Spicy Ranchero Sauce
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Add more milk for a thinner consistency.