Fresh tomatoes and basil mayonnaise on freshly toasted bread creates the best summer sandwich!
Every year I look forward to summer when tomatoes are in season and bursting with flavor because I can’t wait to smash them between two pieces of bread!
My mom was actually the one who introduced me to tomato sandwiches years ago. I saw her making one, and thought it was super weird. But hey, don’t knock it until you try it. Because when I tried it, I was hooked. First of all, I freakin’ love raw tomatoes sprinkled with salt and pepper, so it’s no figure I love this sandwich. And if you love tomatoes, you’ll obviously love this sandwich too.
Normally, I just spread butter and regular mayonnaise on the toast, but this time, I added basil to the mayonnaise, and it was a good call. Fresh basil adds a lot of flavor and pairs perfectly with tomatoes.
Which brings up a thought. Another thing I love is butter (I clearly love a lot of foods/condiments), which is why I always put it on my toast before anything else. Like peanut butter, jam or honey. Is anyone else the same way?
Also, isn’t this old school scale the coolest. I borrowed it from my parents to use as a prop. I’m going to have to find one of my own real soon!
Now go enjoy a tomato sandwich before tomatoes are completely out of season. You won’t regret it!
Tomato Sandwiches with Creamy Basil Spread
- Hearty country bread white, whole grain, etc.
- Tomatoes any kind, sliced
- Basil chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together a 2:1 ratio of mayonnaise and basil (for example, ½ cup of mayonnaise and ¼ cup chopped basil).
- Toast slices of bread. While still warm, spread toast with butter then with basil mayonnaise.
- Place tomato slices on top of toast and season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy open faced, or spread butter and basil mayonnaise on a second piece of toast to make a sandwich.