Grandma's Ground Beef, Zucchini and Sauerkraut Hotdish
Yield 8 Servings
This family favorite hotdish combines ground beef, tender zucchini and tangy sauerkraut with a creamy homemade sauce, pasta, and lots of cheese for a delicious dinner!
- 12 ounces ziti noodles
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large zucchini
- 2-3 cups sauerkraut
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ¾ cups beef stock (or broth)
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook ziti noodles as directed on package until al dente (they will cook more in the oven).
- Add diced onion and ground beef to a large skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook beef for 7-10 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Prepare zucchini by slicing it in half vertically then cut into thin slices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, and flour until combined.
- Bring beef stock to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Slowly pour milk and flour mixture into the pan, whisking continuously for about 2-3 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Add noodles, ground beef, zucchini and sauerkraut to a 3 or 4-quart baking dish.
- Pour sauce over hotdish in the baking dish. Using a large spoon, gently fold sauce and ingredients together until combined.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake uncovered for an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
Recipe by Modern Farmhouse Eats at http://www.modernfarmhouseeats.com/grandmas-ground-beef-zucchini-sauerkraut-hotdish/