The perfect recipe to satisfy adult cravings for ramen noodles! Ready in less than 30 minutes and made with delicious chili seasoned broth and lime shrimp. Both tastier and healthier than the store-bought version!
Back in my college days, if I had to pick my 3 favorite late night foods, it would be ramen, pizza and mac n’ cheese. Yup. I feel pretty confident that I’m not the only one with these 3 rounding out their list because hello cheap, easy and delicious. And guess what, I still need these foods in my life from time to time.
But, this chili lime shrimp ramen recipe is for the grown-ups out there (even those pretending to be – heyy) that are in need of a ramen fix but want something that is considered acceptable for dinner, and actually eaten at dinner time, not at 2 a.m.
Without further ado, Chili Lime Shrimp Ramen to the rescue.
I’ve come across quite a few homemade ramen soup recipes, but never one that quite met my fancy. I love shrimp, and I love a little heat, so why not make the best of both worlds? Am I right?! My college self would be proud. And actually, my college self liked to cook. But, on a college budget, I kept things pretty simple. Now, my obsession with food has led me to experiment in ways I never dreamed of.
In college, I did a lot of cooking with my gal pal and roommate, Rachel (we called ourselves R^2 – yes, we’re super cool). We were kind of the like the “chefs” of our 5 girl college home. Whenever we had people over for the weekend, the two of us would usually be in the kitchen whipping up dinner to fill our bellies for what was to come that night or whipping up a feast of a brunch to recoup from last nights activities. And of course, we always had the staple 3 late-night foods stocked. But, how awesome would it have been to mow down on this Chili Lime Shrimp Ramen than the ramen from the bag with a few dehydrated teeny tiny shrimp?
I hope you all enjoy this adult version of ramen and take a trip down memory lane while slurping up this delicious soup. Or eating. I hate the sound of slurping. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Other than things I don’t like, if you want to learn a little bit more about me, like things I do like, get the scoop here.
More warm and tasty soup recipes:
Chili Lime Shrimp Ramen Soup
Yield 3-4 Servings
Perfect recipe to satisfy those adult cravings for ramen! Ready in less than 30 minutes, this ramen is made with vegetable broth, chili seasoning, shrimp and lots of ramen noodles.
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound deveined shrimp
- 1 ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 12 ounces ramen noodles*
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon lime juice and salt; cook, stirring occasionally until firm and pink.
- Remove shrimp from pan and add 2 tablespoons sesame oil to skillet. Add onion and tomato and cook on medium about 4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic. Cook 1 minute and turn off heat; mash slightly.
- Return to medium heat. Add water, broth, ½ tablespoon chili powder, cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon lime juice and soy sauce. Bring to a boil then simmer 8-10 minutes. Add noodles, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Just before serving, add fresh spinach and stir in.
- Serve with lime wedges, matchstick carrots, green onions, and cilantro.
*May use any type of ramen, discard the seasoning packet.